February 6, 2018
The Value of Values
Turning Ideals Into Actions so Everyone Wins
For most companies, corporate values are nothing but a marketing tool. Featured on the website and in brochures. Once you are on the inside, you learn: It’s all BS.
Imagine my surprise when I realized things are different at RELEX. I started working here in June 2014. It only took a few weeks to notice that the company’s values are routinely applied to everyday life. Our founders set shining examples, turning words into tangible standards:
- The customer is a friend: If your friend tries to tighten a screw with a paperclip, do you cheer them on or hand them your screwdriver? Sometimes suggesting a different approach is the best way to help people achieve their goals.
- We provide measurable value: You don’t take advantage of friends, so we make sure we actually add value to our customers’ businesses.
- The coworker is a friend: Friends don’t pull rank. They respect expertise. Our CEO is happy to answer any questions, listens closely, and is always open to fair reasoning, no matter who presents it.
- Put an end to stupid things! We all make mistakes. But it’s not the end of the world as long as we learn from them: We fix it, move on, and do better next time.
- Life is supposed to be fun: Most of our waking hours consist of work. So we should be able to enjoy it! Not taking ourselves too seriously (#uglyselfiefridays) helps a lot. And we can craft our roles to find our personal happy place.
Because they are so actionable and omnipresent, everyone quickly embraces our values. This has a massive impact on our work life: A value-driven culture can largely rely on trust instead of control and red tape. It is simply liberating, fun, and empowering.
It also allows us to witness the so-called Pygmalion Effect in practice: High expectations are rewarded with high performance. After all, we don’t want to disappoint our fellow RELEXians now, do we!
Everyone wins: We go the extra mile to help coworkers and customers alike. And we are rewarded with gratitude, support – and even more trust. Welcome to our circulus virtuosus.
Danja is part of the fabulous marketing team at RELEX. She holds a Master’s degree in Corporate Communications/PR and spends most of her working hours with a wild mix of tasks related to marketing, PR, and internal communications. Her favorite afterwork activities include making travel plans, cooking & dining with friends, and the occasional MMORPG, puzzle, or strategy game.
In our blog our people tell about their life at RELEX.
July 28, 2020 The Fun Initiative: Helping Brighten Things up at Work Careers at RELEX » Blog » Jobs bei RELEX » Blog » When you are faced with a strange, new situation, where you focus your energy on is even more important than ever before....
June 24, 2020 Employee Spotlight: Sean Hooper Careers at RELEX » Blog » Jobs bei RELEX » Blog » Here at RELEX, we build outstanding software that creates measurable value for our retail customers. As smart as our AI-driven software is,...
June 10, 2020 Bringing People Closer Together Online Careers at RELEX » Blog » Jobs bei RELEX » Blog » What do you do when you have been looking forward to joining the RELEX US team for more than 6 months, and one of the things you have been...